Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Children learn what they live....

I remember reading this poem about 3 years ago, it struck such a chord with me so much that It changed the way I was doing things, it turned me into a more instinctual gentle mom. It made me realize that great parenting isn't buying the best brands or the latest gadgets, great parenting isn't ruling with fear, great parenting isn't repeating vicious cycles because that is how you were raised. Great parenting is being available for your children as much as possible, to pick them up when they cry, to kiss their booboos, to cuddle them to sleep, to love them when they're good and love them enough when they're bad to not discipline out of anger and frustration.

We all have our bad days I am far from a perfect parent even then there is no perfection when it comes to parenting... I've lost my temper , I've raised my voice .. but I am learning..but I always keep this in mind....


Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.


If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Copyright © 1972 by Dorothy Law Nolte

It's never too late to kiss your children and tell them you too are learning right along with them...

2 comments:

  1. My mom had this posted on our fridge the whole time we were growing up. :) In fact, I think it is still there! Love the poem, I probably need to follow it a little more though....change starts now?? :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails