Monday, August 30, 2010

Breastfeeding Rocks!!

A recent article by Nursing Freedom "Marketing Breastfeeding: your ideas" asked the following:

"How would you give breastfeeding a makeover so that women view it as glamorous, sexy, essential? Or fill in your adjective - what attributes do you think we can emphasize to make breastfeeding more acceptable, appealing, desirable to more women?"



First of all, think about the women who are having these babies?

They're women in their 20's who were born during the 80's grew up in the 90's

They are part of the Generation Y or MTV generation.



I remember seeing this image and thought oh yaay, breastfeeding rocks!

It's an Image of Jerry Hall nursing her baby and looking stunning!







I think Billboards or more magazine ads with musicians nursing their babies would be so effective, what if we would have had Gwen Stefani or Britney Spears doing nursing campaigns? Unfortunately Celebrities are a big influence in our generation and they know that! more of them should step up and encourage the general public.

We also know how successful MTV's "Teen Mom" has become, I wish some of those girls would have breastfed. Why not add a documentary about the teen moms who did choose to breastfeed.

The Bottom line is we need to have breastfeeding in the media , in more fashion magazines, more talk shows, more sitcoms. We need more Kourtney Kardashians, more Salma Hayeks, more Bethenny Frankels, More Gisele Bundchens out there!

Because Breastfeeding Rocks!

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely! I wish more people would speak our. And not just about BFing some, but about long term. I know any BFing is better than none but I have noticed how many people (not anyone really close to me, more like doctors and aqaintences) are very supportive when my kids are 6 months and under and I BF. Those same people become disgusted and annoyed when I continue on after 6 months.
    I tell a whole lot of people (just close family and friend knew) at the time because we had not legally adopted her yet, but I BF Karma for a bit :). I had to wean her after I got pregnant with Sariah because my supply was drying up. But she got to nurse from 4 weeks (when we got her) until 5ish months. For awhile I was nursing Kimmy and Karma at the same time. I didn't want to wean either of them but the supply just kept dropping and by the time I was 3 months preggers it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That is awesome!!! I think it's the greatest gift you could have given Karma well of course along with your love but what a great mom! You have given her not only a great start health wise but you have bonded with her more than she would have with just a bottle.

    I actually read an article about adoptive moms that nurse, they don't produce milk but they do it for the bonding of it. Some people do get put off by that but that is what is wrong with society, breasts are more than for the gratification of men they're for bonding and feeding your babies.

    In History also there have always been Wet Nurses, people who would feed babies that couldn't be fed or who were from royalty (who didn't want to bother feeding)

    I think it's so awesome!!! You go girl! <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails