Monday, May 2, 2011

Humility the lesson that didn't get taught.

Humility (adjectival form: humble) is the quality of being modest, reverential, even politely submissive, and never being arrogant, contemptuous, rude or even self-abasing. Humility, in various interpretations, is widely seen as a virtue in many religious and philosophical traditions, being connected with notions of transcendent unity with the universe or the divine, and of egolessness. *wikipedia
Not an example of humility.

Last night with the news of Osama Bin Laden's death,  I was Happy to see most of my friends and Facebook acquaintances share the same sentiments.. What's going to happen now?  Why are they showing people cheering on the streets like they just told them they won a million dollars?  How are the anti-Americans going to react?  Why should we be happy and rejoicing over someones death?  A life is a life no matter how evil. Getting this man after almost 10 yrs is anti climactic as my blogger friend over at Fine and Fair expressed.
.
I am happy for the people fighting this war and the people who have been victims for the past 10 years.. 10 years!! let's not forget it's been that long!  Maybe this can bring some closure or some sense into this senseless war that has been going on for 10 years! I am happy for them and I hope they get to come home.. but I am afraid.

Kill the "queen bee" and the swarm will probably attack you, then they will be quiet.. making a new queen, regrouping.  Killing the queen bee will not destroy the hive..  The war is sadly far from over.


"An Eye for an Eye makes the whole world go blind" Said Ghandi.

Ok,.. now how does this pertain to parenting... Check this article out on bullying




"This is the circle of bullying," Pearre explains during a classroom meeting devoted to the subject. She points to a chart that illustrates the roles: passive supporters, followers, the bully, the victim, and possible defenders

Watching this class, any former middle schooler might recoil and think, "It's wrong to rat on friends." And student Jay Kulkarni voiced what every boy listening to this lesson had to be thinking: "So if someone comes up to you and like, punches you, or does something physically violent, how do you defend yourself? Do you just stand there and watch?"


Don't let it get to that point, kids are told. Don't resort to violence, because it's wrong. And, as Pearre explains, it will land you in even bigger trouble
"Frederick County Public Schools has a zero-tolerance policy for any kind of physical violence," she warns



This is what we tell our children.. then we parade around happy about all of this.. attacking others with the word "unAmerican"  for not feeling the same way. What are our children learning from us?  Not Humility that's for sure.
 
I am not saying we should have treated Bin Laden to a bed of roses.. I am just saying be careful how you act in front of young impressionable minds.. and don't believe for a second that this is all over... sadly I am realizing after 10 years.. this is probably still only the beginning.  Call me Pessimistic..  but I am afraid.
 
And another thing I am American! I love this country.. and because of that I don't want to see it destroyed by hate.
 
Imagine there's no Heaven

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Finding out about Osama's death made me very uncomfortable, especially seeing the droves of Americans in celebration. A disgusting act that frightens me even further because I know there will be a backlash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Celebrating death that way is majorly fucked up. I would understand if his death was freeing people, if he was a dictator whose subjects were now liberated, how there would be cheering. But this was just revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this article and I agree 100%. Sharing to my Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree totally and thanks for expressing it this way. I thought it was totally strange to see all the cheering and stuff - I guess it was a release of all sorts of things but I didn't get it. I don't live in the US but I felt afraid for you all last night and I'm not usually pessimistic either. Let's continue to hold peace in our hearts and minds and daily actions. onelove

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God there are other people out there who are thinking what I was thinking. I am more upset about people acting like a bunch of animals! Just got off the phone with a friend and Egypt and she was telling me about how so many people out and about in Egypt were very upset about the hand-clapping during the Obama speech. So humiliating for the US!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention! I'm very inspired by the number of folks who share the sentiment. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post amiga! I too feel the same way. I can not celebrate the death of anyone...

    I just wanted to say this. I understand for the victims of 9/11 Osama's death is probably welcomed news, as well for soldiers, people etc... But, celebrating it is something completely different! It's actually disgusting. As I watched my fellow Americans in front of the White House waving our flag and cheering it reminded me of a scene I watched on t.v. back during the whole 9/11 horror.

    This scene was of a woman in a middle eastern country (not sure where) dancing and jumping up and down yelling "death to america" at the news of the twin towers being hit. In that moment I remember thinking "how could you wish death or celebrate the death of others, no matter where they are from..."

    The other night watching those American's cheer made me think of that lady! Pitiful actions. I honestly thought American's were better than that. Not to mention the news stations broadcasting it live! WTH! (hanging my head in shame)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails